If you or a loved one is struggling with alcoholism or binge drinking, contact Women’s Recovery for effective women’s alcohol addiction treatment. By recognizing the signs of a functional alcoholic, you can encourage a person to get professional help and live a better life. To know more about our treatment programs for alcoholic drinkers, call 833.754.0554 to speak with someone from our caring and compassionate staff about how we help women overcome alcohol addiction and abuse in Colorado.
Am I a Functional Alcoholic?
The term “functional alcoholic” is a misnomer. It seems to suggest that a person who is an alcoholic might still have a successful life, but that’s far from true. A highly functional alcoholic might appear to be holding it together, but they are probably struggling personally.
If you think you have your drinking habit and your life under control but cannot quit drinking or go without drinking for a while, chances are that you are a functional alcoholic. However, the good news is that alcohol use disorder (AUD) is a treatable condition, and it is possible to fully recover with the help of medication, therapy, and compassionate care.
Signs of a Functional Alcoholic
Are you wondering if you or someone you know is an alcoholic drinker? The questions below might help you spot the signs of a functional alcoholic:
- Do you enjoy drinking on your own?
- Do you look forward to binge drinking—having five or more drinks in a single sitting—with friends after work?
- Do you get blackout drunk regularly or semi-regularly?
- Do you sometimes come to work hungover? Have you missed a professional deadline or a family occasion due to your drinking habit?
- Do you secretly stockpile liquor?
- If someone questions your drinking patterns, do you try to downplay it or laugh it off?
- Do you drink more when you’re under stress?
- Have you tried quitting on your own and failed?
- Have you faced any problems in your relationships due to drinking?
- Do you drink four or five or more drinks in a single sitting?
- Do you experience cravings for alcohol when you are not drinking?
- Do you feel irritated or angry if a drinking plan is suddenly canceled?
- Do you suffer from stomach issues, headaches, liver problems, and other health ailments?
- Are you secretly ashamed of your drinking habit but feel too powerless to do anything about it?
If you have answered yes to one or more of the above questions, you are likely a highly functional alcoholic. You might appear to have a successful life with a thriving career and stable relationships. Still, it is only a matter of time before you face significant problems in your personal and professional life.
Nevertheless, seeking professional help can reverse the damage and help people live joyous and meaningful lives. If someone you know is an alcoholic drinker, encourage them to get help immediately.
Find Alcohol Addiction Treatment in Colorado at Women’s Recovery
At Women’s Recovery, we empower women from all walks of life to live healthier, happier, and more fulfilling lives. Be it binge drinking or drug addiction, our expert and compassionate staff works carefully with each client to formulate a personalized recovery plan, paying close attention to their unique needs, lived experiences, and wellness goals.
We offer many evidence-based approaches, holistic therapies, trauma-informed treatment, and sober living services. Our outpatient programs are designed to help you develop healthier coping mechanisms, get back on your feet in no time, and embrace lifelong sobriety and wellness. It’s never too late to ask for help. Contact Women’s Recovery today at 833.754.0554 and embark on your healing journey as soon as possible.